Sunday, January 19, 2014

Finishing up!

The last two weeks of the process is the slowest. You visit your house almost daily and it looks just about move-in ready! You bug your builder daily asking if you can get in there and if not, when? Why?! This is where if you are an impatient person you need to just distract yourself with packing or whatever you can find to keep your builder from placing a restraining order on you!

During these last couple of weeks final touches are done to the house (touch up paint, minor adjustments, etc). There are also a handful of inspections for electrical, plumbing, etc. If something does pass (which didn't happen for us thankfully), then the problem must be addressed. Then the final inspection happens and the builder hands you the keys. Since this was a custom home building process and a construction loan was in place, there is no closing paperwork to do and the builder literally hands you the keys and says congratulations! You already closed at the beginning of the construction loan.

There is nothing quite like being handed the keys to your own custom built home. The past 4-5 months were long, but you got the house you wanted. You didn't settle for a market house that had "most of the things you wanted." You didn't have to settle for a predetermined floorplan offered by a "big builder." You designed this thing from the ground up just the way you wanted it. You just made a sound investment in a custom product that will have a very nice resale value when and if you decide to move.

Next step is either hiring a moving company or buying some pizza and beer and seeing if you can convince some friends to help out with the big move!

No pictures in this post as there is a whole section dedicated to our finished product. Check it out!

20 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for the advice! My husband and I are just about to start building our very first home. We are so excited, but totally nervous too. We've never done this before, and we have had to be careful about covering all our bases. I never in my wildest dreams imagined there there could be so many little details to buying a lot and building a home. It's going to be amazing when it's finished though, I can't wait!

    Aerie Construction

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad that you've been able to create your first home. I know it was an exciting process for you and the family. I would love to see if we could guest blog or interview each other about it, if possible. We custom build homes too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much for the advice! it ill make my dream project of my house great using ur tips sir.
    luxury apartments in coimbatore
    https://www.puravankara.com/pages/projects

    ReplyDelete
  4. good design...very nice.
    Online gifts in india
    http://www.williampenn.net/

    ReplyDelete
  5. I definitely enjoying every little bit of it and I have you bookmarked to check out new stuff you post.

    shop fit out gold coast | home extensions in gold coast | Custom Home Builder Gold Coast

    ReplyDelete
  6. the house looks great in that picture! hope it turns out well for you

    ReplyDelete

  7. Thank you for sharing your information. I read them all and I love them all.Sikka Kimaantra Greens Sector 79 Noida is a new launch residential Project by Sikka builders. Sikka Kimaantra Greens offers 3/4 BHK & Villas with multiple sizes. Sikka Kimantra Greens is located at the best location of sector 79.
    For details Click Here

    ReplyDelete

  8. Thank you for sharing your information. I read them all and I love them all.Sikka Kimaantra Greens Sector 79 Noida is a new launch residential Project by Sikka builders. Sikka Kimaantra Greens offers 3/4 BHK & Villas with multiple sizes. Sikka Kimantra Greens is located at the best location of sector 79.
    For details Click Here

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is interesting that the last two week of the home construction process will seem to move the slowest. Moving slower in these last to weeks, I would agree is smart to able to finish all the last small touches on your home. I am glad to know that your home will need to undergo several inspections before it is move in ready.


    http://www.seapointehomes.com.au/projects

    ReplyDelete
  10. Really an awesome share, Thanks for sharing useful information.
    SRS Contracting Co.
    Oak Forest home builder

    ReplyDelete

  11. Read your blog its really informative and helpful keep updating with newer post on Home loan interest rates Housing loan

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your room is beautiful! The built in book shelves add so much to a home -you have them decorated so nicely.
    custom home houston

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your blog is included in the best blogs about construction,.
    commercial construction companies

    ReplyDelete
  14. Nice post. I was checking constantly this blog and I am impressed! Extremely helpful information specially the last part I care for such info a lot. I was seeking this particular information for a very long time. Thank you and good luck.Builders Blackpool

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thankyou for share the tips, i will build my new home for my family. Having a new house is my dream, i will need help from the architect to design. www.facebook.com/tedbiesterbos

    ReplyDelete
  16. Mr LORENZO DIEGO LOAN FIRM FINANCE IS THE BEST PLACE TO GET A LOAN {mrlorenzodiegoloanfirm@outlook.com},
    God bless you sir, I will not stop telling the world about your kindness in my life, I am a single mum with kids to look after. My name is Emily Peterson and I am from Convention Center Drive, Miami Beach, FL. A couple of weeks ago My friend visited me and along with our discussion she told me about MR LORENZO DIEGO LOAN FIRM FINANCE, that they can help me out of my financial situation, I never believed cause I have spent so much money on different loan lenders who did nothing other than running away with my money. I have been in a financial mess for the pass 7 months now, She advised I give it a try so I mailed him and explain all about my financial situation to him, he therefore took me through the loan process and gave me a loan of $390,000.00 at a very low interest rate of 2% and today I am a proud business owner and can now take good care of my kids, If you must contact any firm to get any amount of loan you need with a low interest rate of 2% and better repayment schedule, please contact MR LORENZO DIEGO LOAN FIRM FINANCE email:- {mrlorenzodiegoloanfirm@outlook.com}

    ReplyDelete
  17. I have been lucky enough to work with Mr Pedro, and their team recently organized an amazing experience for granting me a loan of 760,000.00 Euros at the low rate of 2% rate in return, they give any kind of loan financing. If you are looking for a loan that offers internationally without credit check then Mr Pedro is the right person for you to contact and his amazing team but also takes a real time to check on their website and their service. Mr Pedro Office Email Address: pedroloanss@gmail.com In Financial Services! This is for you. Thank you for caring so much.

    ReplyDelete